Monday, June 9, 2008

What a difference a pair of shoes makes! (And a day makes too…)

I did the 2nd Rock Creek trail race on Saturday. I was miserable for the first one so I didn’t write about it. I hated every step. I could not even enjoy being in the woods I was so miserable. But this weekend was a different story! When we left Topeka in May we went right to Garry Gribble’s Running Sports. (ok – we were parked there but we went in.) I bought new trail shoes. I had been wearing the Vasque Blurr’s – I did not like them. When I tried them on in the store, they were fine but running was different. So I bought a pair of Brooks Cascadia’s – LOVE them!!! My old ones were Cascadia’s also. This was the Cascadia 3. Garry had not been carrying the women’s version in his stores and I had been reluctant to have him order a pair without trying them on. Trish, Cheri & I went in to the Independence store and they had them in stock! I tried them on a WOW – it was like the first time I put on my Nike Vomero’s! It was perfect.

So we did the race – this one was 10 miles. The series progress in length over 4 races. It was HUMID. Holy Cow! I was dripping – you could ring out my running skirt! The race is tough but not bad. There are lots of rocks and relentless ups and downs. It took 2 hours 38 min to do 10 miles. Last year at the same time, I did Hospital Hill in 2hrs 23 min and it’s 13.1 miles! Let’s just say the elements were trying very hard to win!

Cheri & I did a race the next day (Sunday) for Heartland. They have been primarily mountain bike people but have started some trail races. I was 1st and Cheri was 2nd in the women’s race. Oh yeah! We were the only women! And she let me run ahead of her. I'll take a first place - it might be the only time it ever happens! She is practicing pacing me at Mt. Hood. She did an excellent job. I would have taken longer on the 2nd loop if she hadn’t bee with me. I just need someone to keep my mind busy so I can’t think too much about the task at hand. And she made decisions about when to run and when to walk. I think I started Sunday’s race dehydrated. Or at least low on electrolytes. I was beat very early. It was like I couldn’t catch my breath…

I was feeling pretty beat up about it over the weekend. I kept saying “How am I going to do 50 miles, when I can barely do 10?” I think compounded with the struggles I’m having on the bike I just wasn’t feeling like “me” – I said something to Cheri about that while we were running and she said “How can you not feel successful? A month ago you couldn’t even run and look how well you are doing!” Sunday – I didn’t care but today I feel better about it all. I know I can finish Mt. Hood. Don’t what my time will be but I know I can finish.

Now I just have to get over the bike… hypnosis maybe! :D

No comments: